Tuesday, August 14, 2012

These days... 37 weeks pregnant and moving

From the title, you can gather that things are movin' and shakin' over here.  You'd be correct.

- These days, I am sleeping with 5 (count 'em 1-2-3-4-5) pillows.  
- These days, I'm almost recovered from the chiggers that attacked my legs a few weeks ago.  Yes, I made the mistake of sitting on the grass while the kids played at a splash pad.  Horrible decision.  Chigger bites all up and down my legs and even on my lower belly (meaning super itchy-life!).  I officially have a deep hatred for that bug.

(The internet is a wonderful tool when trying to figure out remedies that are okay to use on pregnant people. If you try this soap, I must warn you, it will smell like you've been at a campfire all night.  gag me.  But, surprisingly enough, it helped with the itching.)
- These days, Tillie and Cal have been entertaining themselves with a fraction of the toys they normally have out, and it makes me think I should just chuck all the toys I've already packed up (and we really don't have that many toys).
- These days, 80% of our life is in boxes.  Be so proud of my efforts.
- These days, my feet are super swollen and I have to stay seated starting around 8pm.
- Speaking of swollen, these days, I feel like I'm so big.  It's amazing (and kind of horrifying) that bodies are able to stretch SO much.
- These days, I go to bed as late as possible.  If I do this, then chances are that I'll be able to sleep through the night.
- These days, nothing sounds really good to eat.
- These days, I am really liking John Legend and India Arie (always have liked her).  I feel so soulful pumping up their jams and singing along as I pack up box after box.
- These days, Aaron is extra patient and helpful.  Last week he even trimmed my toe nails AND painted them.  Hello.  If that act, alone, doesn't speak volumes then I don't know what will.

Currently, it is 10:37pm on Monday night.  
Tomorrow afternoon, my darling mother and youngest sister, Liz-bert, arrive in town to help with the moving madness.  
We move out of our house in two days... but since it is so late in the evening, it's pretty much like we're moving in 1 day.  
Then, just over two weeks later, this wee baby is supposed to make his debut.

That is the plan.  I like plans.  I am a planner (thanks to my dear mother).  Let's all keep our fingers crossed that everything goes according to the plan.

People keep asking me how I'm doing these days?  I'm always pretty quick to reply that I'm doing well.  And, really, I am.  I think it's because I'm in "survival" (and perhaps denial) mode.  I take it one day at a time.  My focus is to keep our children happy and healthy (including the one in utero---which may be the reason I picked up a bag of PB M&Ms, sour watermelon candies, and junior mints. what? you gotta do what you gotta do), pack up 1-3 boxes, and if other household delights can happen, great.  

Next week?  I have no idea what it will be like... other than crazy town.

I proudly told Aaron that it's been several weeks since I had a legit emotional breakdown. I'd say that's pretty good for being so far along in this pregnancy, the fact that we are moving, changing wards (we really like our current ward), having a baby, and did I mention that Tillie starts pre-school for the first time in a week?  WHAT?!  I think that last little tid-bit is giving me the most anxiety at this moment in time. 

We've NEVER had a true-gotta-stick-to-this-schedule.  We're anti-commitment over here, and love having the world wide open each day.  When Tillie took dance this past year (once a week for 30 minutes), it felt so restraining.  Parents with several kids/schedules will scoff, but we're heading into uncharted territory here.  Most of all, I kind of hate the fact that Tillie won't be around 24/7.  She is my little side kick and, for the most part, such a great little helper.  
(she loved watching the Olympics... especially the gymnastics.)

The other day, she ran with Aaron to the new house to do a few things outside and then they went to Home Depot.  In total, they were probably gone for 2.5 hours, but it felt like FOR-EV-ER to Calvin and me.  When she got home, she and Cal ran into each others arms and kept saying, "I missed you so much! Did you have a good time? I missed you!"  I got a teary eyed thinking that it's going to be the norm having her gone for chunks of time.  Yes, uncharted territory for us.  

I know she will love it.  Of course she'll love it!  Social/learning time for 3 hours and only two days a week with all of her little favorite friends?  The rational part of me knows it's a great thing for her and also a good thing for me to focus in on Cal and this new baby during that time... but sometimes I wonder if we're jumping the gun.  

Sigh.  
Do you ever know if you are doing things right?  Probably not. 

Wow, this post has turned into quite the reflective event, no?  Sheesh.  Oh, well!  My blog. You get what you pay for.

I'm hoping to hop back onto this blogging train sooner than later.  I miss it.  And, I know that there are lots of other venues that people enjoy more---instagram, facebook, twitter, etc.  But, I really enjoy blogging.  I like keeping in touch with my friends and family this way.  So, in case you were wondering, I'm not shutting this place down any time soon.

Oh! and thanks for the kind words about the new website!  What better gift could you get on your birthday than validation from your friends?!  THANK YOU!!!  I felt like such a winner, thanks to you friends.  Speaking of the site and that post, guess who won?  According to a random number generator the winner was my darling friend, WHITNEY, #5---feelin' alive.  So much fun.  

So, there you have it!  
More pictures to come.  Uploading as I type.

1 comment:

Steffani Dastrup said...

Melissa, you are so amazingly positive and upbeat. Even when you say you are complaining it still sounds like gratefulness instead. I hope things will go as smoothly and as accordingly to plan as possible for you in the next few weeks! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...